OCT 27th Slog.

Welcome to the second update of my SLOG! I just read my previous post before and I can’t believe how many things have changed in such a short time. In my previous post I was an exchange student who had arrived two weeks late to classes and had very little to no knowledge of anything related to the course, now I can at least say I know a thing or two about the DrRacket programming language.

For quizzes I’ve have found class instructions to be sufficient most times, however, just for safe measure I also do the practice exercises from the course website. I did a bit worse than I expected in some of the quizzes but looking at the PDFs I realized that apparently using blue pen in lieu of black subtracted marks, something I will take into account for the next Wednesday quizzes.

I can’t think of anything I am particularly proud of creating because, to be honest, I have let my imagination free, I first want to learn the tools available at my disposal before going full on to own projects. Although I did particularly like hide/stack, I thought it was very useful to be able to automate things like that in order to have less cumbersome code. When I have played around with code, I’ve mainly tried to recreate the things that were seen in class, to see if I’m just “copying and pasting” or if I actually managed to understand the concept itself. If I can recreate it with other numbers or pictures, then it means the concept is clear.

Definitely the concept of the “check-expect” is one that at first was completely foreign but now I’ve managed to understand clearly. Not only did I not understand how it worked at first but I also didn’t understand its purpose. What was the point of checking for errors if you could just run the function? Well, now I understand what the point of checking is and can do it clearly in Dr. Racket. I do have to admit reaching this point took some practice and tweaking with functions to understand what I was doing but the goal was met. In order to understand something, as mentioned above, I try to change the parameters or see try to see what happens if I change something, when I get to the point where the results are predicted before I do something, then I can finally claim I understand it.


Personally, at first I was a little bit intimidated by asking questions, since I arrived late I felt a little bit behind and “embarrassed” by asking questions that maybe were already known. Not knowing the University I wasn’t sure how TA hours worked. Now I do however, and plan to make use of them in the near future. I just haven’t had a good reason to go yet! Probably I’ll go for some help with the project next Monday! 

Comments

  1. Hi Lucas, great post once again! :)
    I'm glad you're adjusting to university life. It can be difficult at times.
    If you do come to office hours, please don't be shy to ask 100001 questions that is what we are here for :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Oct 6th Slog